VBS – Vienna Bilingual Schooling
Interested in the VBS? Learn more…
- Mainly pupils with either German or English mother tongue
- Working knowledge in the second language required
- Vienna Bilingual Schooling concept
- Austrian Curriculum
- Austrian teacher and native English speaking teacher work together
- Two language groups in each class
- Reading and writing in the first language during the first two years
- Additional reading and writing in the second language in years three and four
- System immanent flexibility allows individual support for highly motivated children
- Bilingual teaching in most other subjects
- Classes of 50% German speaking pupils and 50% English speaking pupils
- Team teaching
enrolment and orientation
There is a special enrolment procedure for the VBS schools which involves an „orientation talk“ with pupil and parents. This attempts to determine the aspects mentioned below.
Information for Parents/Guardians:
Registration: Vienna Bilingual School – VBS/Primary
Orientation talks will take place in our school from 11th – 14th January 2016. Appointments will be given personally or over the telephone (01/203 21 31) from 13th November 2015 onwards.
Important conditions for acceptance into the VBS:
- Language competence (with a solid foundation in either German or English),
- willingness to communicate,
- home address as near as possible to school,
- general school maturity.
The results of the orientation talks will be sent electronically on or shortly after 15.01.2016.
Information für Eltern/Erziehungsberechtigte
Anmeldung: Vienna Bilingual School – VBS/VS
Die Orientierungsgespräche für die Aufnahme in die 1.Schulstufe unserer VBS für das Schuljahr 2015/16 finden in der Woche vom 11.-14.01.2016 an der Schule im Rahmen der Schuleinschreibung statt. Die Terminvergabe erfolgt ab 13.11.2015 persönlich oder per Telefon (01/203 21 31).
Wichtige Kriterien für die Aufnahme in die VBS:
- Sprachliche Kompetenz (Deutsch oder Englisch als solide Erstsprache),
- Wohnort möglichst in Schulnähe,
- allgemeine Schulreife.
Am bzw. kurz nach dem 15.01.2016 werden die Ergebnisse der Orientierungsgespräche elektronisch zugestellt.
Ausführliche Information des Stadtschulrat für Wien – Europabüro
– siehe Link am Seitenende
Additional information by Vienna Board of Education – European Office
– see link at the botttom of the page
how we work
We currently cater for approximately 100 children in four classes, grade 1 – 4 with four German speaking class teachers and two English-speaking teachers (native speakers). There are always two German speaking teachers to one English speaking teacher.
Each class is divided into two language groups. To teach literacy the German-speaking teacher takes the German-speaking pupils and the English-speaking teacher the English-speaking pupils.
During the first two years the pupils are not required to do any formal work (reading or writing) in their second language. They are however encouraged to do so if they are considered ready for it.
The rest of the teaching time is devoted to bilingual teaching in subjects such as music, crafts, art, PE and social studies. In grades 3 and 4 the language groups spend approximately 15% of the teaching time with the other language teacher and learn to read and write in their second language.
- Musical presentations at special events eg Christmas
- „Open Days“ on various topics when children of grade 1 and 2 as well as grade 3 and 4 mix and work on numerous activities on their level
- Cross-cultural learning as the VBS classes are made up of children from variety of nationalities. Tolerance, respect for each other, an open mind and a broad world view are key issues. Children learn to appreciate each other’s cultural background through „Nationality Days“ during which parents and children present their countries and cultures through language, pictures, music, dance, food etc.
- Children are encouraged to work on projects of their choice either as individuals or in a group
- Individual reading scheme which conforms to the aptitude and ability of each child (E: Oxford Reading Tree)
- Inter-action between mixed age groups through co-operative team-teaching
- Each teacher brings in her/his strong points and enthusiasm for various subjects which all the VBS children benefit from.